Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Training Day

No, not the movie. I don't think I've ever even seen the movie.
Work. Today I was in the playroom with a child for the first time, and got feedback for the first time. This kid is the cutest boy ever, or at least he is when I'm with him (don't worry, Jordon, you're still the cutest when I'm not under this kid's direct influence!). I had a really good time in the room; he even held my hand and gave me a little hug! And the feedback was great. I had been dreading it, afraid I would be defensive or take it personally or find some other all-about-me way to not take in the feedback I got. But, yay me! I was really present and open and answered all the teacher's questions honestly and thoughtfully and authentically. It helped to think of the feedback in terms of ways I was effective and ways I was ineffective; not good and bad, or even good and needs improvement or some other euphemism for bad. Mostly my feedback boils down to this: I need to be in the moment, love the moment I'm in, and not be worrying about the possibilities of the future; to trust that I will know what to do when the next moment arrives, and the next and the next. When I'm worried about whatever, I miss the beauty of the moment I'm in, and the chance to show the person I'm with how much I appreciate the moment. So, loving the moment fully and genuinely. Which is obviously a spectacular idea for all of life, not just in a Son-Rise playroom. God I'm gonna learn a lot, this was only my first day of real training!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Wow - so great to read all this stuff Sonya...finally stopped putting of the things that I really wanted to do - interesting how we do that, huh. Can't wait to hear more from you.

ryran said...

Wow. Good for all of life, indeed. I knew this was gonna be big for you..but now I'm psyched.

Lynn said...

Ah, if only it were that easy. I sometimes feel like I have learned the same things over and over and think I am learning it all for the first time every time I learn it. I think I just had a deja vu moment!