Saturday, August 11, 2007

Refresh and Gladden My Spirit

The italicized quotes are from a Baha'i prayer by 'Abdu'l-Baha. It's always been one of my favorites and is pretty popular, but the past few days its come to have a lot of meaning for me.

O God! Refresh and gladden my spirit. Purify my heart. Illumine my powers.
I feel like I'm gonna need a lot of help with the new work/apprenticeship/training thing. I need to be refreshed and illumined so I can be as clear and ready and energetic as I can be.

I lay all my affairs in Thy hand. Thou art my Guide and my Refuge.
In the end, I'm here by myself. No matter who I email or who reads this blog or how many times I talk to folk on the phone, its just me in the end. Who else but the Universe/God/Higher Power am I gonna rely on ultimately?

I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved; I will be a happy and joyful being. O God! I will no longer be full of anxiety, nor will I let trouble harass me. I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life.
Someone's been talking to me about this lately. And I've been thinking about it on my own a lot too. And of course, the whole Option thing: Happiness Is a Choice and all that. The idea of thinking myself into a bad spot; of dwelling on the hard stuff instead of the fact that I am living in a gorgeous apartment right along a beautiful river, about to start the best job in the world. All that and still I look around and say "oh boohoo for me." I don't know if I know how to dwell on the pleasant things of life. I'm trying to figure that out though.

O God! Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself. I dedicate myself to Thee, O Lord.
It doesn't take much, really, to be a better friend to me than I am to myself. Not that I'm knocking what a great guy God is, I'm just saying I'm not much of a friend to myself very often. It's another thing I'm working on.

One day I will figure out how to stop working on things and just do them. That's... something I'm working on.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not religious, so not much to say to this one.

Sometimes it's okay to work on doing things before you do them. Some things work better with a lot of planning and forethought.

Keep updating, it's good to know how you're doing.

Anonymous said...

Update! I demand an update!

Lynn said...

You know why this is hard? This journey we call life? I think I discovered part of it in a book I just read called "A General theory of Love". AND then there is always Echart Tolle to jump a person out of their "self". At least, A New Earth helped me. Temporarily anyway. Nothing lasts forever I am finding. But if I just keep reading the right books, and many seem like "the right books" then maybe I can stay on the happy track a little longer than last time.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.