Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Uncle Walt

O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring;
Of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities fill'd with the foolish;
Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light--of the objects mean--of the struggle ever renew'd;
Of the poor results of all--of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me;
Of the empty and useless years of the rest--with the rest me intertwined;
The question, O me! so sad, recurring--What good amid these, O me, O life?

Answer.

That you are here--that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.
--Walt Whitman


So I'm thinking this whole Massachusetts thing is a chance for me to start writing my own verse as I want it to be; to start on a fresh page with a new vocabulary of mindfulness and authenticity. I'm so excited, and sad, and scared. As someone once told me, change is scary, no matter how great the change is.
I will so miss the people I have here in NC, but I'm also excited about making our relationships more mindful. Right now I kind of drift and when I see you all, it's great and I love you, but I don't have to try to see you, you're just there. I think having to be intentional about when we talk and what we say is going to be really nice, even though I will miss being able to drift in and out of my brother's family's house and surprise Rio sightings and random dinners with Ryan and errands with Mom and gatherings at Karin's and and and.
I love you all.

4 comments:

Paryssa said...

go gurl! do yo' thing. make you proud! :-) we'll miss you!!!!!

Vicki said...

well I had written this entire letter to you and then they said I had to join the blogger so I did.
Congrats on moving...I am sure it is scary, but you can do it!!! It will give you time for writing and time to work with kids which you do very well. I am sure it is hard to leave with all your family here, but maybe some space is what is needed. I do wish you well.

I am still in the throws of this separation and am not happy about it at all. We have yet to sign an agreement and it is costing me a small fortune. My estranged husband is not living with another woman...and that hurts me a lot. My girls and their families are my greatest support. The grandchildren are growing..Aaron is now four and Nina is 14 months and is toddling around. She looks so cute with her head full of dark curls.

I am still seeing Mike and Dana, but have not seen Donna since I left the group. I haven't seen anyone else from the group either. I do miss all of them. Mike has just stopped working with the men's group, Donna is doing it by herself right now and looking for another male therapist to help her. Mike decided it was time for a change.

Well I am happy for you and know you will do well...I will miss you...but will try and keep up with your blog.

You go and show them all those skills you have.!!!!

best wishes,
Vicki

ryran said...

"So I'm thinking this whole Massachusetts thing is a chance for me to start writing my own verse as I want it to be; to start on a fresh page with a new vocabulary of mindfulness and authenticity."

I can so see it. I really wish you a wondrous journey. ... I think, no matter what, it will be as long as you don't give up.
Much love,
ry

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely picture. Makes you seem so... real, I guess. Because it's a 'normal' shot, rather than a happy smiley posed one. If that makes sense.