Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Weird Dream

Last night I had... you guessed it, a weird dream.
So in this dream, I was visiting some other city.. definitely a city, very cosmopolitan, but I have no idea where. Not even sure which country. I was with one friend. A female, but I'm not sure who. We had been out walking around, window shopping, and were returning to our rather large and posh hotel. We saw some people on on of the balconies yelling "He's got a gun! He's got a gun!" Apparently we weren't scared, although I did think it was odd. We walked into the hotel.
Inside it was chaos. We asked one of the hotel workers what was going on and it turned out that some crazy guy was killing people. Each person had been assigned a number, I think based on which room they were in or something like that, and the guy was holding lotteries for who he would kill next. As we were watching, a teen-ish aged girl (maybe early 20s) was crying and a hotel worker was telling her "I'm sorry honey, but your number came up" and sending her upstairs.
The crazy killer guy was apparently roaming the hotel, so at this point in the dream there was almost a montage of hiding. In coat rooms, a maintenance closet, a bathroom... at some point I got separated from my friend. There were also random shot-up bodies around, and lots of people screaming and such. Where I was in the hotel though, which was on the ground floor near the lobby and dining rooms (Yeah. Rooms. Plural. Told you it was a posh hotel.) it was quiet though. Eerily quiet, with people hiding and running silently to their next hiding place when they began to feel their original wasn't good enough.
I wound up in some kind of private dining room, where apparently there had been a kind of brunch thing going on. The tables were still set, with half eaten plates of food on them, the chairs and napkins all in disarray; the diners had left in a hurry. I had the feeling the people at this brunch had been older.. I think I knew that just from knowing the hotel itinerary. The room was decorated in dark rich wood, and I remember the napkins were a deep wine red.
At this point I was starving, so I started scavenging off the buffet tables... which mostly held sweets; pastries and things like that. I picked up a few things, took a bite, dropped them where I stood, tried something else... I found a brownie I liked and ate one, and continued walking around the room...

And then I woke up.
With some questions. Why didn't my friend and I (or any one, for that matter!) just leave the hotel? Fear of being shot at through a window maybe... but the streets outside were pretty busy, and my friend and I had walked in just fine.
Why were the hotel people cooperating so fully with this guy?
Where the heck were the police?

So anyway, that was my dream. I have one interpretation idea. What are yours?

2 comments:

Dejahmi by Beth Respess said...

i think it's fascinating - and i am struck by the fact that everyone was just waiting around for their name to be called, scared, but unwilling to just leave. makes me think of so many things - choosing the devil you know vs. the one you don't, you know? overall, people know the food they eat is killing them, yet they eat it anyway, b/c learning a new way seems harder, and hey, maybe they number won't be called for awhile. it's like people are all hedging their bets - "this is the life i'm leading, and i'll cross my fingers that somebody else will bite it before me."

great dream. i know i do it in my own way, too. i try to catch on when i can, but i'm slow and stubborn like everybody else. but i keep trying.

any hotels you need to walk out of?

River said...

very similar to my ideas, beth. something about like.... believing that i have to be where i am, even if its bad, for whatever reason (i dont know anything else, surely this thing can't be changed, i've been like this/in this place forever, etc etc) and yet... all i really have to do is just... walk out. just stop. just leave. just don't. or just do.