Thursday, May 27, 2010

Procrastinating and Packing

I just realized something about myself.
Usually when I am packing, whether for a move or for a trip, I wait until the last minute. For trips this never bothered me and I never really thought about it. For moving though, it's been a struggle for me. I thought that I hated packing and that's why I always put it off until a couple of days before my move (although I have never been late with packing). I mean, I was really really convinced that I HATE packing. I would force myself, hating it every moment, to start packing early, a few boxes every day, to make sure I was getting it done. Well this time, I am done early. I got the last of my stuff packed up (except, of course, the few things I will need until Saturday) last night: a full 3 days early!

And now, looking around at all these boxes and things, knowing I have another 48 hours before they are put on a truck and dropped off at my new place, I realize.... it's not that I hate packing. That was just the reason I came up with off the top of my head several moves ago and I stuck to it; I made it true for myself. I totally convinced myself of it! The real reason I don't pack until the last minute is because I don't like the feeling of impermanence, of transience, oh lack-of-place-and-space that comes from having everything all packed up. I don't like the odd hovering between two homes feeling that I get from not quite being at home in either.
And, even more interesting: now that I have realized WHY I put off packing, I totally don't mind that I do! After all, I've never missed a deadline. All I am doing is making the moving process as easy as possible on myself. Until, of course, my silly rationalizing brain jumped in and made it "bad" to put things off.
Humans are endlessly fascinating, lol!

Net learning: trust myself to take care of myself, rather than rushing to doubt!

No comments: