Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Personality

OK. So my mum had worked on this huge personality analyzing project thing, but then we moved when I was 7, and she stopped, but her partner carried on all these years. And he recently offered to do an analysis for me. Which I totally took him up on. And tonight I had a 2 hour phone call with him and got the results. IT'S SO COOL!

So, here are the kind of highlights (there is a lot of information and it's gonna take some thinking to sort it all out).

Everyone follows the same pattern: they take something in, they make it their own, and they spit something back out. It's how we do those three steps that makes us who we are, kinda. And it gets all nuance-y and whatnot, but here are the basics for me.
I take things in (aka learn things) through feelings, mostly in one on one interactions. Me and one other element/person interact, and I have feelings about that.
Then, I privately, on my own, think about those feelings. So, it makes sense I require a lot of alone time... I'm doing a lot of processing almost totally on my own that others do alone AND with others, or just with others.
And then, I present my findings to small groups (a small group is defined as a group small enough that I would know everyone in it personally). Once I've given my ideas and thoughts away, I'm not all that partial to what people do with them. If they choose not to act, that's fine. I did my part by disseminating the knowledge. You might note that this way of giving to the world isn't generally seen as all that valid. Our society wants people to DO things. To have some kind of a result to point at. An "I made that" moment. Which leads me to another key point: my strongest point of weakness.
I am not goal oriented. For me, it really literally is all about the process. I feel and analyse. I create a succinct spoken or written way to present my findings. And that is my contribution. Other people, do-ers, can take it from there. The doing isn't my piece. And yet, my piece is just as valid as the do-ers. It takes an architect and builder to make a building work. I'm more on the architect end of things... actually, I'm more the designer, I guess. "Here's an idea that is applicable, do with it what you will."
Also, writing is the easiest way for me to get my ideas out there.

All of this makes total total TOTAL sense to me, given my life and how it feels best to me to lead it.

I know that I am not goal-oriented; but I thought it was because I lacked will-power.
I know that I require lots of alone time; but I thought it was because I lack socialization skills.
I know that I socialized best in a one-on-one setting; I thought I was somehow lacking some essential socializing gene.
I know that sometimes I don't know what I think about something, and i have to spend time mulling it over (I call it "percolating"); I thought I was just a slow thinker.

It's so nice to have someone knowledgeable in the field say "This is how you are. There are reasons for it. And every type of person has value, and valuable contributions to make."
After all, somewhere out there is someone who just wants to be handed a good idea so he can go out there and DO something with it!

1 comment:

Frank said...

You've really got the big picture! I wouldn't change a word of it.