Monday, June 21, 2010

The Change

Hahaha, the title sounds like I'm about to talk to you about menopause, doesn't it. I'm totally not.

I meant as in the quote, "be the change you want to see in the world." I.. I don't know who said it. I will use my google-fu powers. .. Ah. Mahatma Gandhi said it.

I'd thought I've been doing pretty good in regards to that quote. I think I'm pretty good at letting deeds be my adorning. If there is something I believe in, I behave accordingly (to the best of my ability in any given moment of course).
Here's the part I just now realized I've been missing.... Gandhi didn't say "be the change and also talk about it." and Baha'u'llah didn't say "let deeds be your adorning," He said "let deeds NOT WORDS be your adorning" (emphasis mine).
I think that in general I've been spending too much time telling people about what changes there should be in the world, and how to go about changing themselves accordingly. Hmm, that sounds more intense than what I really do... I don't just go around telling people "dude, be more peaceful!" But I am pretty good at getting upset with people who aren't living up to what I consider basic morals and ethics.
But like... why the heck do I do that? Its upsetting for everyone involved. I hate how it makes me feel. So I'm going to stop doing that. I am just going to be the change I want to see, without needing to discuss the changes others want to see or not see, and be or not be (hehe, did anyone else just have a Hamlet flash? Speaking of Hamlet, this is hysterical)
I don't mean I'll never talk about myself and my changes, or suggest courses of action to others. I just mean, my focus is going to be BEing.

1 comment:

Chrysalis said...

How have I not read that Hamlet thing before? That was awesome.