Monday, September 13, 2010

A Quote and My Thoughts

"It is not that we make the best of things, but that we may find in everything, even in calamity itself, the germ of enduring wisdom. We ought not to resist the shocks and upheavals of life, nor run counter to obstacles, we ought never... to be impatient. We ought to be as incapable of impatience as we would to revolt. This is not being so much 'long suffering' as a quiet awareness of the forces that operate in the hours, days or years of waiting and inactivity. Always we ought to move with the larger rhythm, the wider sweep towards our ultimate goal, in that complete acquiescence..."
--Attributed to Bahiyyah Khanum
( "The Passing of Bahiyyah Khanum" by Marjorie Morton in "Crystalizations," page 174)


To me this is along the lines of my being "unnaturally positive," which I get into scrapes with so often. It's not that I don't think difficult things ever happen. It's that I really really believe, to the point of knowing, that there is a reason for them to be happening; that no matter how much we don't get it, they are a part of the greater good. Even a part of my own personal greater good. A lot of times I can find what I believe might be the positive side... even if it's just "wow, what a great chance to learn patience!" or something similar. But even if even I cannot ferret out some kind of  meaning, I trust that it is there, and act accordingly.

No comments: