Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

All of the regular props and sympathies and prayers. Of course. But hey, my blog my thoughts, right? So...
What's the difference between remembering and dwelling? I mean, just for me personally. each person do things their own way. But for me. Like, I recognize the date. When I think of the planes, the buildings, the people, I am saddened. Concerned about the current state of the world. And I choose not to think about it. I mean... I vote conscientiously. I have been known to sign petitions, write senators, et cetera, at times. I have views and opinions. But I choose not to dwell on things that make me feel bad. Does it make someone less "human," less of a caring person, to choose not to? Should I be wallowing in national sorrow? what would be the point? I can make my choices without extra pain.
I guess that answers my own question. I am sorry for the losses, the fears, the things I can't even imagine. And I can express those things knowing that its not my pain unless I choose to make it so, and without dwelling in it just for the sake of a date.
And yet.... I still want to sign off with "I'm sorry if this sounds harsh." Heh. My brain; so crazy, so unconvinced of itself.

1 comment:

ryran said...

Doesn't sound harsh at all to me. Does it make you less human? I think not. I don't think of 9/11 at all, honestly. I didn't this year. I could care less about it. Seriously. (Someone's proly gonna google this and crucify me some day for it, but that's fine by me.)

Because, just like you (I think), I have no personal relation to 9/11. And the way I see it: just like a person can't clean up all the litter from all the roads in their city, or help every single homeless person they come across, one person can't care about every bad thing that happens in the world. It would be too damn much. There are so many other dates .. anniversaries of horrible events. Just because 9/11 happened recently, and happened in the country I grew up in, doesn't make it any more important to me. The reality is that they were still just people I don't know. I care about them, but for me, it's the same thing as when I hear about tragedies halfway across the world.

Now, if it had been in Charlotte.. well, that would probably be another story (depending on the level of my care reserves). That's my street, after all.