Saturday, June 19, 2010

Suicide

Not mine, don' freak out. Suicide is not something I am even remotely interested in as a personal option.

But as a topic, it's kind of interesting to me lately.
If someone is really determined... if they are hurting so bad that death really feels like the only option... and I mean in situations where it's been like that for a long time, not some teen-angst "I'm not allowed to go to the party I wanna die" thing... at what point have you done your part? When do you say "I am here for whatever you might need, I love you no matter what, ball's in your court?" Because ultimately nothing we do can make someone else do or not do anything.
Where is the line between letting someone make their own decision and not wanting someone to die?
Definitely if I know someone is laying in their room unconscious, I would call an ambulance. If someone tells me they feel suicidal, I would urge them to get professional help, and do what I could for them.
At some point you have to detach yourself... its just not your choice in the end. But how do you know when? And how exactly do you do the detaching? And how do you make sure you are ok with your choices, whatever the outcome?
Sometimes all you can do is let someone know you love them....
but then what do you do after that?

1 comment:

Chrysalis said...

I wish I had the answer to those questions.