Thursday, June 3, 2010

More Maturity

Oh yeah, I forgot about this other evidence of growth. I went to this groovy new local farmer's market thing on Tuesday. It was smaller than I expected but still very cool. But anyway, I digress.
So I find myself staring at this table full of... I don't know what. It was all green and leafy, but in different shades of green, different textures, different lengths and thicknesses... I had no idea what most of it was, much less how to go about eating it.



And so... I ASKED!
It's a big deal. I used to have (and ok, I got a little twinge of it at the farmer's market too) this thing where it was so important to me to present a certain image (in this case the "I belong here and know how to cook healthy things" image) that there is no way in hell I would have asked what a vegetable was. Much less gone with follow up questions like "how do you prepare it" and "what is the flavor like" and even "could I try a leaf?"
So yeah, more relaxing, more letting go of rigidity (that's kind of the same as relaxing, isn't it).

5 comments:

Chrysalis said...

So proud of you!

(I have the image thing sometimes too.)

Also is the picture celery, shallots/spring onion and ...cos lettuce?

River said...

thanks, chrysalis....
this was a random picture i found online, lol

Chrysalis said...

Does that mean you're not sure? lol. I will go on feeling proud of myself for identifying two, maybe three, out of three, then! Until someone comes along and corrects me. :P

Kevin said...

So... what was this mystery veggie? And how does one prepare it? And what does it taste like? (:

River said...

chrysalis: no, it just means i didn't even really look at the veg in this picture, lol

kevin: there were cabbages, 3 kinds of lettuce, chard (i was pretty sure i knew which was chard), squash blossoms... that's all i can remember.