Sunday, June 24, 2018

Golden Rule

(The social one, not the math one.)
We've all heard it. Ever major culture and religion has some version of it.


It seems so simple that it must be simplistic, right? But what if it's not.... what if this little line really is the whole of the law?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you... if you were in their situation. I hope someone gives me CPR if I'm having heart troubles, but I hope no one ever gives me CPR if I'm not having heart troubles! And this is where maybe it starts to feel complicated. Because, you see, it's so vital to really know someone's situation rather than assuming it. If I see someone laying on floor, I'd be wise to take a look around and even ask a few questions before assuming it's chest compression time.

So ask the questions. Have the conversations. Do the research. Think the thoughts, feel the feelings. And then... Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Here's the key, I think: if your investigating and discussing genuinely has this tribal compassion as an end goal, it's all good. But we lose sight of the love so easily under the strain of our fears. We fear not having enough ourselves, and judgement, and how our actions will be received...

But y'all. The Golden Rule is golden for a reason. And it just really is that simple.

2 comments:

fallen said...

I love this

Saira x

Unknown said...

It's what love would do ;)