Monday, June 18, 2018

Excursion

I went out yesterday, for the first time in a few months. I even drove! I did not really want to go out, but I needed to get some stuff done.

I went to two stores which are literally right next to each other in a strip mall. They're about 20-30 drive from my house depending on pervailing winds (or traffic and lights, but doesn't "pervailing winds" just seem much more adventuresome). I was out of the house for a grand total of about two hours and that total included two breaks sitting in the car with a cold drink.

And it messed up the whole rest of my day. Afterwards, my legs from the knee down were so swollen that they felt like stuffed sausages. It reminded me of that scene in The Wall where he's got the fever and his hands swell. My ankles and soles hurt so badly that I laugh-cried when I had to walk. The ache in my lower back was abominable. My brain fog was horrible; the drive home was not safe and I'd have jumped on anyone else who dared drive in that condition. It's now the morning after and I'm still experiencing all of this to only a slightly lesser degree.

And it messed up my plans for the rest of the day (and probably at least a couple of days to come). My cleaners are coming today but I didn't have the mental or physical power to do any of the tidying I'd planned to, so large chunks of my floor and swaths of my countertops won't be able to be cleaned. I didn't get to bathe the dog (I like to do that in the day or two before the cleaners cone, so the tub gets cleaned soon after),  and I wasn't able to take a shower myself. The five minutes it took to make myself some undoctored ramen noodles was excrutiating and dinner was wholly unsatisfying.

If anyone ever makes you choose between being chronically ill and a lifetime supply of stepping on slugs barefoot, take the slugs.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ack, yes, outtings can be so rough. I hope you recover quicker than you expect❤️.