Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Thriving Inspiration

A few years ago... something like 3 or 4 I guess... my brother and I were kind of basically on the same plane, physical health-wise. That's a huge generalization as I suspect he's actually always been quite a bit fitter than me. But let's leave me some denial, shall we?
So anyway, around that time I left the city we both lived in for a year, to do an apprenticeship in a state that's quite a long drive away. I didn't see him much during that year; maybe once or twice.
But after that year I came back to our home state, where he still was. And he was like.... fit and thin and, of all things, climbing MOUNTAINS! It was amazing to me. He was eating differently, he was moving differently, he even seemed to feel more free in an emotional/spiritual sense (that part is purely speculation, I've never actually spoken to him much about all this).
One concrete thing that I've heard mentioned as a contributor to this phenomenal life change (and I'm sure there were a lot of things that all figure in, both concrete and esoteric) was a book called Thrive written by Brendan Brazier. It's little subtitle thing is "The Vegan Nutritional Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life" and from what I hear, it's really more about life than sports... or at least can be taken that way. At one point I borrowed it from him, but returned it unread. I found it online, but have never read beyond the introduction.
So today I went to the health food store up the block from me (I do most of my shopping there; they have enough selection for me, decent prices for their genre, and are locally owned) to buy my dinner. I parked nearer a door I don't usually use (I usually walk and the other door is more convenient on that route, but it's raining absolute buckets here today!). So I wound up entering not by the produce as usual, but by their small selection of books and cards and odds and ends. And right smack on the shelf at eye level as I happened to glance over was a copy of Thrive staring at me. Along with a companion book, Thrive Fitness that I don't recall ever hearing about.
And so now they are sitting next to me on the couch. I intend to finally read the damn thing; I think I'm at a point now where I'm willing to let it change me.
I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: