Thursday, March 10, 2011

Three Hidden Words

I can't sleep, so I've been reading from a Baha'i Sacred Text called The Hidden Words, by Baha'u'llah. These three verses particularly struck me. If you aren't familiar with these Writings, please don't get the idea that they are all sort of "why aren't you doing what I told you to" or "ooo, you're in trouble" sorts of things. These are just the ones that especially resonated with me and my frame of mind tonight.

O Moving Form of Dust!
I desire communion with thee, but thou wouldst put no trust in Me. The sword of thy rebellion hath felled the tree of thy hope. At all times I am near unto thee, but thou art ever far from Me. Imperishable glory I have chosen for thee, yet boundless shame thou hast chosen for thyself. While there is yet time, return, and lose not thy chance.

O Essence of Desire!
At many a dawn have I turned from the realms of the Placeless unto thing abode, and found thee on the bed of ease busied with others than Myself. Thereupon, even as the flash of the spirit, I returned to the realms of celestial glory and breathed it not in My retreats above unto the hosts of holiness.

O Bond Slave of the World!
Many a dawn hath the breeze of My loving-kindness wafted over thee and found thee upon the bed of heedlessness fast asleep. Bewailing then thy plight it returned whence it came.

No comments: