Tuesday, August 25, 2009

B-12, Spit, and the Immune System

Alright.... this is turning into a medical blog, isn't it. Oh well, that's kinda what I'm doing right now. So, just got back from the doctor.
She thinks I'll be on the candida killing diet for another 2 or 3 months, maybe maybe 4. Then I'll be able to have sweets or something like once a week and be fine. Switched a couple of meds up just to keep the yeasties on their toes; they are highly adaptable creatures.
The b12 shot I got last week seemed to up my energy a little. I still sleep like 12 hours at night, but don't need naps any more. Actually got some housework done the past few days, yay! So I'll be getting one a week for the next few weeks.
The rest of this is from the spit tests. Digestion and candida can effect some of this, especially the chemically bits, so for now I'm staying aggressively on the yeast protocol and when that steadies, we will see how things look.
I have an actual allergy to gluten (versus an intolerance) so being gluten-free will be a lifelong thing for me. Allergies don't tend to even out like intolerances sometimes can. That's kind of a bummer. At least its a kind of hip thing to have right now, so there's lots of gluten-free alternatives to things. Some are even decent!
Cortisol is the stress hormone, so you don't want too much. But too little isn't good either, because its the hormone that gives you energy. My cortisol levels are really low, especially in the morning, which explains why I have so much trouble waking up. Throughout the day it goes into the normal zone, but stays right on the low side borderline. This is also why I have a weak and thready pulse: my heart just isn't motivated, it doesn't have the energy to do more. The pulse isn't scary, I'm not about to keel over. But it helps to explain low energy levels also.
The other big thing is a chemical called SIgA (don't ask what that stands for, I dunno and can't be bothered to look it up). This is the first defense of the immune system. Its in your saliva and mucus and acts as a germ killer. Normal is 25-60 milligrams per deciliter. I scored an 8. So that's really really low and explains a lot of why I'm sick all the time. Fortunately, its also one of the things that's probably very affected by the whole candida situation and should get much better once that's under control.
Every thing else on the spit test was pretty normal... I have the basic building blocks to build all the chemicals my body needs, I'm not allergic to milk proteins (although dairy does upset my stomach if I have too much), my DHEA is a little low...I don't even remember what that is exactly... I just know it can contribute to depression if its low.
So, for now, staying hardcore with the candida killing diet and meds, eating every 2-3 hours (I think that really is helping to stabilize my mood), and staying well clear of gluten.
In excitinger news (what, my spell checker didn't underline excitinger?!) I seem to be headache free, my eergy is somewhat up (as mentioned earlier), my mood is more stable so I've less of those kill-me-now depression times, and I'm starting to really beleive this is worth it.

3 comments:

ryran said...

That. Is. F'ing. Awesome.
Want spit test.

Lynn said...

I should probably go on a candida diet myself. It really couldn't hurt (except for my lack of comfort foods to comfort me).

River said...

lynne: just be prepared for possible detox and fallout and such