Friday, August 20, 2010

The Renaissance Festival

I get a small thrill every time I spell renaissance right, heh.

So, I work at the local(ish) renaissance festival. I am a part of a morris dance team. It's an English dance, with lots of bells, and sticks, and hankies. It's good fun. I love the dancing.
Someone at practice a bit ago said something about "Yeah, the faire doesn't pay us much, but I suspect most of us would work there even if they didn't pay at all, 'cause we just love faire." I almost said something then, but decided not to.
The thing is, I don't love faire. I tolerate it because that's where I can dance. I don't enjoy going as a patron at all. I'm seriously introverted so having to be around people all day long - especially people who are expecting me to be entertaining - is tough. It's either hot or cold, but never pleasant. It's dusty and dirty. It's loud and there's a lot going on. I can't eat any of the food they offer. A fair number of the people are kind of creepy to spend much time around. It's just not my cup of rococo.
But, for another year at least, it's still worth it to get to dance.

No comments: