Friday, January 15, 2010

How I Use Agitation

So, I've just learned something about myself. I use agitation as a tool in my life. I use it as a motivator. For example, I just found myself getting agitated a few minutes ago and instead of just being agitated, I decided to take the opportunity to figure out *why* I was agitated. Not like, what agitated me, but why I chose agitation over any other response.
And I realized, I use agitation as a motivator. So I'm sitting here looking at the floor, right, which has stacks of books and papers that need to be put away. And I start to get agitated about it. And then, to get rid of the uncomfortable agitation, I put the books and papers away.  So really, it served it's purpose. Good job me for coming up with it and good job agitation for serving your purpose!
But dude, there have to be more comfortable ways to get things done, lol.
So here's my idea to try, instead of agitation: clean up and do things out of a love and want for a nice space, to be kind to myself. Instead of, "Argh, those books are so damned annoying I just have to clean them up," notice the books and say to myself, "Ah, silly me leaving things laying around. I'm going to take a moment to put them on the shelf where they live so that next time I walk through here I'll have a beautiful clear path."
I have a goal of going toward wants instead of away from not-wants. I think it makes life a lot more pleasant.



No comments: