Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Still Life of Illness

I've been ill a long time. A cold/bronchitis/borderline pneumonia thing. No worries, I totally expect to be fine. I started a 10 day course of antibiotics yesterday. The side effects are ick, but I expect to be feeling better once I'm off them.
But on to the still life: my kitchen looks like a study of illness:
The dish drainer is full of dry, clean dishes. The side of the sink that's not full of dish drainer is full of dirty dishes. The counter next to the sink has a few more dirty dishes, a bowl with popcorn kernels in the bottom, an empty but still inflated microwave popcorn bag. On the tiny stove is an empty cracker box. On the floor in front of it is a trash bag, not quite full, slouched against the wall. On the floor is a laundry basket full of clean clothes (the washer and dryer are in the kitchen) and the dryer is full of clean, dry clothes too. On top of the dryer is a bright magenta stain the size of a quarter: cranberry juice. There are long, thin dried leaves on the floor that I tracked in.
It's kinda depressing in there. I imagine some day I'll do something about it.

When I first noticed this kitchen still life, what I thought was "Wow, my kitchen looks like depression."

2 comments:

Lynn said...

My whole house looks like depression.
And I was even thinking that before I read your blog. Interesting.

This weather is beating my a--!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David