Sunday, May 4, 2008

Ridvan

Ridvan is a series of important Baha'i holy days. The most holy, actually. For me it went by pretty much unnoticed. I'm not able to take the days off work/training. There is no one here to celebrate it with. When I first got here I tried having celebrations and observances on my own, but that quickly lost its charm. Its interesting to see that I seem to rely on others to keep my religious fervor up. Living the life, in many ways, is something that's been missing from my life since I got here. In some ways I'm doing it: I strive to live according to the principles and laws of Baha'u'llah, I still teach and talk about the Faith. But I no longer observe holy days or Feasts and I have started to lose my dedicated times of prayer and reading the Writings. I intend to go back to reading the Writings morning and evening and observing the obligatory prayer, starting today. If anyone has writings about isolated believers, or keeping up individual faith, I'd love to read them. I will be looking for them myself as well.
Alla'u'abha.

3 comments:

ryran said...

I can see how that would be hard. I'd love it if you share anything you find with me...

walking tiger said...

I was an "Isolated Believer" when I first became a Baha'i, but wasn't that isolated. Do you want stuff to read about being isolated and keeping the faith, or do you want to read stuff that you might enjoy, and it might help you feel less isolated? Reading stories comes to mind.

River said...

Ooo, stories is a good idea. Right now I'm alternating between keeping the faith readings at night and excitement-invoking readings in the morning. I also just worked out a thing with my roommate, who is a very spiritual person, that when I come home he reminds me to do my obligatory prayer and then we read a bit of The Seven valleys and the Four Valleys together as my evening reading. He's into mystical stuff, so its working out well for both of us. It's not quite the privacy of my own chamber, but right now it feels good for me.