Monday, June 18, 2012

The Care And Feeding Of Me

Someone asked me today (via email) how I support myself emotionally and mentally. It was an interesting exercise to break that down into some clear and solid points, so I thought I'd share my response.


- I do individual and group therapy (and have for many years).

- I make sure I keep a good balance of alone time to social time (I'm definitely an introvert, I need my alone time to feel stable).

- I stay away from processed sugars, gluten, red 40 food dye, dairy, and caffeine and I limit my intake of unprocessed/natural sugars (except for whole fruit), and other food additives (it's the red 40 that effects me most, though).

- I make sure I get good quality sleep and plenty of it.

- I meditate/pray daily. I find this grounding and reminds me of my ideals and that there is a higher power at work.

- I feel good when I know that I am being of service to someone; even if it's just something like leaving an extra-good tip for a waiter, I know I made a positive difference in the world.

- I try to get in a walk or some yoga (or any other form of exercise, but those are the two easiest for me right now) every day, even if it's only 10 or 15 minutes

- I'm really working on self acceptance; being ok with who I am and where I'm at and not comparing myself to anyone else, or any ideals.

- I take Vitamin D and B-12 and sometimes a multi-vitamin daily.

No comments: