Sunday, September 11, 2011

Me, I'm A Part of Your Circle of Friends

Anyone remember that song? In case anyone else is now having a burst of nostalgia, here ya go. Good ol' Edie.

Really, that's not the point of this post though. The point is this:

I have a small circle of friends. I like it that way. I'm interested in deep relationships, of the sort which are difficult (for me, anyway) to maintain lots of. I consider those deep relationships, my friends. I do have some ... I guess shallow is the opposite of deep, but it doesn't mean I don't value those relationships. Just, I don't consider them my circle of friends, I guess.

The danger of this, I have discovered and re-discovered, is forgetting that not everyone in my circle also has a small circle. In fact, some of them have huge circles. Sometimes it's too easy for me to feel hurt by what feel like slights or omissions in communication and sharing, because I forget (and really can't very easily conceive of what it's really like) that some people have what seems like vast numbers of social contacts.

I'm not entirely sure what the solution is... maybe just as simple as remembering that my experience is in no way any one else's experience.

No comments: