Thursday, March 27, 2008

I need YOUR help!

Here's the thing: I'm so driven and motivated to grow that I push myself. I even put pressure on myself at times. And I get sick. I don't think there's been a month since I got here that I haven't had at least one day off. Right now I have strep throat for the second time this year. The doctor says it probably wasn't killed all the way last time (which was like 2 months ago) and its been hanging out and multiplying and planning its revenge. So here's the question: how do I get a break from being responsible for all of my emotions and behaviors all of the time? A lot of people I train with are pretty big drinkers. Some are highly sexual. Everyone has some way to blow off the world, and I need one. Please share any ideas you have! Ideas about how to relax on pushing myself to grow and change and about how to stop judging myself when I do feel bad. But mostly ideas about how to take a break from the world, that doesn't involve drink, drugs, sex, or self injury. Thanks, my peeps.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My escape of choice is reading. I can completely forget the real world even exists for hours (or days :P) at a time.

Danielle said...

A few things work for me - sleeping (any hour of the day) - TV or movies (I know you know about this one...let me know if you want some movies mailed to you) they tend to put things into perspective and make me less hard on myself (ahhh the decadence of society). - and lastly, self-love notes everywhere....I hate doing this, but sometimes it's really nice to just take post it notes and write every great thing I can think of about myself and stick them everywhere....they get old fast - and it helps to change them often, but they do work at making me feel okay with exactly where I'm at - and that it's also okay not to push too hard right now...healing time is healing time dear Sonya. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Being in nature does it for me and being absolutely in the moment while I am in nature - just being, observing, listening, feeling, experiencing. I feel connected to something greater than myself and therefore outside of myself.

Also art. Expressing, open ended without the goal of a product. I can get "lost" in the process and actually "lose time" which again takes me outside of myself to something greater: the creative process. It is very freeing.

A really good question. I hope these might help. Let us know what works for you.

Loveya.