Friday, May 6, 2011

Telling: An Update

This is a follow up to this post ("Telling") which was about how my goals seem to lose momentum once I share them. 

An interesting note: my therapist says that she finds that most people she works with also lose goal momentum when they share their goals except in the vaguest of ways (ie, "I'm trying to eat healthier" rather than "I will have stopped eating sugar within 3 weeks."). The course I am taking online recommends not sharing much of your goals as well.

As near as I can figure, for me anyway (and partly based on input from the therapist and course materials), it has to do with losing that perfect imagining of my goal and how I will get there.

For example, say my goal is to stop eating sugar. When I visualize it, I have this beautiful image of a skinnier, healthier me eating a gorgeous, whole foods meal. So I go to my friend all excited and say, "Hey! I'm gonna stop eating sugar!" and I'm all excited with my image, right? And then my friend says "Wow, what about that one ice cream flavor you love?" or "Aw, when we go out, we aren't going to share dessert any more?" and now I'm all conflicted again, instead of being able to ride my own momentum.

I think that I also fear judgment for people about what my goals are, why I want them as goals, how I wound up in such a place that I need them as goals, what my outcomes are....

So that's where I am with the idea of not telling much about what my goals are.

No comments: