Saturday, March 15, 2008

sugarfree and fritzfree

During the Baha'i Fast we don't eat from sunrise to sunset for 19 days. I'm not medically able to do that, so instead, this year, I gave up sugar for the full 19 days (not just sunrise to sunset). So far it's ok, though I have a friend who likes to tease me by offering me sugar a lot and telling me how yummy it is. I forgot twice so far: had a few bites of bread pudding and a Coke. Oh well.

My best friend here is leaving in 2 days to go to Europe for 6 weeks. Its a great opportunity for him and I'm really glad he gets to go. But strictly for my own selfish reasons, I also wish he wasn't going. I'm going to miss him really a lot. He's been such a part of my daily life here, since I got here, that I'm not sure what it'll be like without him. It'll be good for me, I know, but I'm still not looking forward to it.

I have another friend who's in a really tough situation right now. The problem is that when I listen to her I get reminded of a lot of the situations and issues in my past, and can get myself into a kind of rotten place. I don't know how to be a friend to her and still take care of myself. Last night she wanted to stay at my apartment and I had to tell her no; I just couldn't listen any more. I'm judging myself about not being able to get over my own stuff to be there for her how she needs people to be.

1 comment:

ryran said...

I got sick after the first few days.. and didn't fast at all for the rest of the time. I'm STILL kinda sick. Grr. Anyway, good for you on sugar. Great idea..I kinda wish I had tried something like that to make the Fast more meaningful this year.