Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Dentally Disappointed

Some of you know I've been on a huge dental journey, getting all of the silver amalgam fillings out of my mouth. Partially I decided to do this because my blood does test high for some of the toxins found in the amalgam (and they are known to leech into the body over time), and partially because many of the fillings are decades old, and were causing my teeth to crack (this happens as the metal expands and contracts due to temperature variations, et cetera).

So it's been... I think I started this endeavor in August of 2011, and I've done 5 sedation visits (I can't handle dentistry without sedation, trust me) and 5 follow-up non-sedation visits (basically where they just check on their work and do a little filing as necessary). Today was the 6th, and was supposed to be the penultimate. Unfortunately the first tooth they got to work on, which needed a root canal, turned out to be pretty tricky (I'm not sure why; they don't tend to give a lot of details when you are drugged up with sedation, so I'll get the details at my follow up visit tomorrow). In the time they had intended to do 2 root canals and 2 fillings, they just worked on this one tooth.

The result is that one tooth is very sore (I've had plenty of other root canals during all this, but this is by far the most painful) and I still have 2 visits (barring further bizarreness) to complete this process. Right now I'm irritated and disappointed and in pain.

I am definitely totally grateful that I have both the means and the courage to do this, and I know that it will increase my health a lot... but for just tonight, I'm kinda down about it all.

2 comments:

Jeannene Christie said...

I'm praying for you sweetness.

Jeong-Eui = justice said...

I soooo need to see the dentist!!! It is hard to find a good one here. I have never had a root canal and man I hope I never need to. I pray that the dental journey is over soon!!!