Saturday, May 5, 2012

Eating Well

I've been trying for a while to figure out ways to eat well for my body while I work on convincing myself that cooking isn't a horrible odious task (which kinda might take a while). For me, eating well means only natural sugars (and not many of those), gluten free, largely dairy free, and very little processed food. Here is my current strategy:

  • I found a local food service that delivers premade gluten-free, sugar-free, 80% or more organic/pesticide free meals once a week. All I have to do is heat them up; they even come with instructions! They have a minimum amount for delivery, which it turns out takes care of most of my lunches and dinners for the week.
  • I have fruit, rice cakes, and a few snack-chips sorts of things for snacks.
  • Breakfast has still been a bit of an issue (I'm even lazier in the morning than usual!) so I just went and bought fruit salad and smoothie ingredients, a few gluten-free cereals and coconut milk, gluten-free bread (really only good as toast, imo, 'cause it's rather dry), eggs, and bacon. My idea here is to find a time when the kitchen doesn't seem quite so unpleasant an idea and go ahead and make up the bacon, fruit salad, and a smoothie, to save in the fridge (somehow eggs don't seem very savable and the cereal is kinda already done). 
  • For those times when for some reason I really want to eat out (I sometimes really like the feeling of sitting at a table and being served, it suits my "nurture me now" side), I have gotten myself a gift card to a delicious raw cafe that is near me. Somehow having the giftcard makes me more inclined to eat there, since the money is already spent. There is also a decent Thai restaurant just up the road (I haven't asked them about gift cards yet). My idea is to try to stick to those two places for eating out (when I'm on my own; social adventures are different). 
So that's my idea. It seems kind of fool proof so long as I exercise a little will power, but I am known for being stubborn when it comes to bettering myself! 

No comments: