Monday, July 25, 2011

It's Easier To See Light In The Dark

This is a small bit from William Blake's Auguries of Innocence. 
 
 
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born,
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.

Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night.

We are led to believe a lie
When we see not thro' the eye,
Which was born in a night to perish in a night,
When the soul slept in beams of light.

God appears, and God is light,
To those poor souls who dwell in night;
But does a human form display
To those who dwell in realms of day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This rendered me speechless.

I'm interested in your take on "We are led to believe a lie" and so forth. I'm not really sure what to make of that stanza.

Actually, I'm conflicted about the whole thing. I think it's because I'm figuring out how to perceive God from outside the throes of depression right now, which is continually startling.

Hm. Let me know if you're interested in having a conversation about this privately. Or anything, really. I love reading your blog and enjoy being challenged by what you have to say.

River said...

I'm always open to talking! I'm still on the server quite a bit, as river. Feel free to pm!

I heard a story once of this Buddhist teacher, who was explaining to his students that he had depression. One of his students said he wished his teacher didn't have to "suffer with depression." The teacher said "don't be sorry! Depression is where all the juice is!"

That's kind of what I liked from this sliver of poetry; the idea that there is such huge growth potential in the dark places of life.