Thursday, June 2, 2011

I Am Amazing

The original title for this post was "My Body Is Amazing" but I changed it for two reasons. One, an "amazing body" can definitely have an aesthetic connotation that I am not trying to imply and two, I am trying to move away from the dichotomy of seeing my body as separate from me. I mean, I do believe that my true and eternal being is spiritual, but right now, I am also clearly a physical being. I think it does my mind, spirit, and body a disservice to try to separate them in the context of day-to-day living.

So, here is why I am amazing.

First, a couple of weeks ago I had a consultation with an Ayruvedic doctor (Ayruveda is the traditional medicine system of India). In Ayruveda there are three categories of being, called doshas. The doshas all represent different aspects of mind, body, and soul. We all have all three doshas, and ideally, we would have a nice balance of approximately 33% of each dosha operating within us at any given time. Unfortunately, "ideal" rarely meets "actual."

There are two ways to measure doshas in a person: their natural doshas (what the percentages of the doshas are in you naturally) and their current doshas (where those percentages are now, whether due to illness or physical imbalance, psychological or emotional issues, et cetera).

My current doshas are fairly out of whack, but my natural doshas are very balanced! The doctor actually said that she had never worked with someone who is "tri-doshic" as I am, and that it is quite rare. So yay for my innate potential to be a very balanced person!

The second reason I am awesome happened when I was at the dentist this morning (and may I just say, it is pretty darn awesome that I was at the dentist's office at all, as I have a terrible fear of any sort of dental work). The dental assistant and the dentist herself both asked me what sort of dental hygiene care routine I practice. I need some kind of extensive work done, so I was concerned that they were asking so that they could point out where I was going wrong. Instead, it turned out they were asking because my teeth were so clean, with very little build-up, and they wanted to know how I maintained that! This is an area in which I haven't been giving myself a whole lot of support, so it was awesome to hear that I am naturally talented at keeping clean teeth!

The third reason was very cool. I was just at my neighborhood health food store and a Biofeedback practitioner was set up doing 20-minute demonstrations. I decided to do one, and it was really informative. I'm considering doing a full session with her. I found out that except for having slow digestion and absorption (which is an issue I am already addressing), I am remarkably healthy! In fact, the practitioner seemed really impressed with the numbers that were coming up.

I'm really proud of myself for working so effectively on maintaining my physical health, and I'm really pleased that I have a natural tendency toward great health as well!

1 comment:

Chrysalis said...

This made me smile.

Yay you!