Thursday, May 12, 2011

Poison As Medicine

This morning I had to have a CT scan, which involves not eating or drinking (except water) for 4 hours before the scan. I made a conscious decision not to wake up at like 4:30 am to be able to get a meal in, so I wound up not eating from about 8pm last night until around 11:30 this morning (CT scans take a long time, what with the prep of drinking horrible contrast and all).

I knew going into it that it would be a totally not-ideal food situation for me, so I planned for that. When I get really hungry I get headachey and nauseated. The oral contrast makes me a little nauseated, too. So I had decided ahead of time that I could eat whatever sounded good to me afterwards, regardless of what it was or where it came from. I also ordered a soda along with my water for the meal. I deliberately and consciously used the soda to boost my blood sugar quickly to start to deal with the effects of not eating for so long as quickly as possible, while I ate more complex carbohydratess and proteins to remedy it long term.

Sometimes the right amount of poison (one glass of soda in this case) can be a medicine, as long as it's administered at the proper times and in the proper doses. Just like chemotherapy, I suppose.

That said, I found the soda pretty nasty!

No comments: