Monday, April 4, 2011

Computer Curfew Leads to More Clean Laundry!

So, lately I've been only allowing myself to have my computer on from 10am to 10pm. Since I don't have a TV, the computer is pretty much my only source of media (I do have a separate CD player, though, so music and such is still an option).
I try to be up by 8am, so that leaves me about 2 hours in the mornings when I'm out of bed but not on the computer. I get a surprising amount of stuff done in just two hours!
And today I noticed an interesting trend. I usually turn my computer on right at 10am, but even with it on I find that on days I've observed the 10am curfew (some days I've cheated) I am way more likely to do things other than being on the computer, even during the hours I'm allowed to be.
I guess maybe it's about habit-building...? Like, in the mornings I'm building the habit of doing other stuff, so it's continuing through-out the day?
Hmm, I bet this theory is applicable to a lot of other things. Like maybe if I just make a commitment to exercise for 5 minutes each day (exercise is one of my big sticking-points... I just don't like it much) then the idea will carry over and I'll either start wanting to do it longer, or do it more times through out the day. Hmm....

1 comment:

Chrysalis said...

I'm not very eloquent at the moment, but I thought I'd stick my nose in enough to say that I find this too.