Monday, February 28, 2011

Projects Can Be Intimidating

I think that part of the reason doing often escapes me is that things seem too big to bother with. As an example, I've meaning to cook this roast chicken and vegetable dish thing for a while now. Yesterday I kind of got the urge to go ahead and make it, but then I started thinking about all the steps involved... get all the ingredients out, wash the veg, find the pan, chop the veg, rub the chicken (with olive oil and seasonings; this is totally NOT my favorite part)... it all just seemed like such a project. I was gonna just pass on the whole thing, but instead I decided to take the urge and just go with it until I felt done. I figured, I can always stick the thing in the fridge til I get motivated again. So, that's what I did. I got most of it done and then stuck it in the fridge. This morning I chopped up the remaining vegetables, added some herbs, and stuck it in the oven.
This goes along with the idea that someone proposed to me of making Doing be play, rather than work. Work has like, a goal; finish this paper, complete this meal, learn this subject. The point of play is to play. The goal is the process is the goal. So in the spirit of play, I made the meal until it stopped being fun, and then I stopped making it.
This is all an exploration, but that tactic felt a lot better than "I must make this food now, no matter how boring it is and how irritated I get!"
The experiment continues.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that might possibly be how I knit, which would explain why I never finish anything!