Thursday, January 20, 2011

Narcissism: My Therapist is a Funny Lady

So I was at therapy today, talking about myself, as you do. And we were discussing about how I'm not very good at making myself do things I don't want to do, but that I have great energy for doing things I am interested in. One of the things I am most interested in is.... me. But only because I'm so available to myself. If anyone else would hold still for all the questions and thinking and pondering I do with myself, I'd find that person quite interesting. It's really people I'm interested in, but I'm the person who is most available to me, by far. So anyway, we're talking about this, and it goes something like:

Her: You know, there might be a touch of narcissism here. Not like the personality disorder, but just a trace of the trait.

Me: I can't help it, I'm just so fascinating!

Her: The percentage of narcissism has just risen dramatically.

;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute. Who's the funny one? ;)

Help me out, was she serious? Who isn't more interested in him/herself than anyone else? Or maybe I just "get" that because I happen to be narcissistic myself, and so extremely good at therapy? (I'm not kidding, I get told this a lot. About being good at therapy. If I'm told I'm narcissistic I'm too fascinated with myself to notice that.) But really? Your shrink called that narcissism?

River said...

well, she was serious in the way that narcissism can just mean like "interested in yourself." but not in the way that is a personality disorder or means anything negative about who i am, or whatever.

Gilgo Gaggins said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.