Thursday, December 9, 2010

Single Socks

I always figured that the reason people lose socks while doing the laundry was pretty logical.

Laundry machines are generally big, with curved sides. When you are at the laundry mat and a sock gets left behind in the washer or dryer, it would be fairly easy to miss it if you weren't being careful. Especially if your socks are white, which is usually the color of the inside of a washing machine. And you wouldn't notice til you got home and found a mysteriously single sock.
Or maybe your laundry basket was pretty full, so you didn't notice that a sock, a rather small item, had fallen out of it in the parking lot, and again you have a single sock mystery when you get home. It would be pretty easy to have happen, so it would happen a fair bit, there ya go, the legend of single socks is born.

Makes sense, right? So riddle me this: how come, now that my washer and dryer are in my very own kitchen, I am still losing socks?

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Check your other clothes. It's called static. I once found a single sock months later in the flannel sheets I pulled back out for the winter. Had been stuck to the sheet and stuffed in the closet for the whole summer. HA!

ryran said...

Probably house-elves of some kind. Or gnomes.