Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Telling

I think I just realized something. Maybe. Although... I don't know what it is...

So, here's what I was thinking. The past few days I've been doing really well with some lifestyle changes. But I'm hesitant to celebrate them publicly because it seems like when I do that, I lose momentum. If I tell a friend, or my doctor, or something like that, that doesn't seem to jinx it. That just feels like accountability. But if I make proclamations (well, OK, this blog has a pretty small readership, but you get what I mean) I seem to lose enthusiasm shortly thereafter.
I was thinking maybe it's a control issue? Maybe when I say to a lot of people "hey, I am doing this" I want to prove to myself that just because I said it doesn't mean I have to do it? Or to reassure myself that it's OK to change my mind?
I dunno, but I feel like if I get too excited too early about progress, the progress slows or stops.
Any thoughts?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. On the one hand, 'they' say that the best way to make certain changes and habits stick is to talk about them, it supposedly creates some form of accountability. But I find much the same that you do, that when I talk about them, they change. I don't want to say that I necessarily fail, because that may or may not be the case, and implies a judgement, but the actions do certainly change and/or stop.

Maybe talking about it brings it outside the realm of action, and into the realm of theory? My 'follow-thru' is great with some things, and miserable with others. And those things correspond amazingly well with things that I am comfortable with.

I will have to think more on this. I think there is a strange think going on with the 'not letting people in very far' and 'being open,' and other similar juxtapositions.

Food for thought.... Thanks!

Chrysalis said...

I'm sure I remember reading something about how announcing your intentions like that is a bad idea for change because the support etc makes it as though it's actually happened already? I wish I could remember where or in more detail. I suspect it ties in with what Valerie has said, though.

River said...

i... am not sure i see the issue with making things seem as though they've already happened? it seems like that would just make it feel more real and ongoing and sustained?

Chrysalis said...

From what I remember, because it feels like it's already happened, the drive to *make* it happen disappears. Don't quote me, I might be imagining the whole thing!

ryran said...

It's been a while since you wrote this.... What did you figure out?

ryran said...

Doobopshoowop.