Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Birthday

I had a kind of non-traditional birthday this year. Usually I spend it at home. I make my gratitude cards, and send them to people who have been a big influence in my life over the past year. I usually watch a movie. I usually have a family part in the evening with my brother's amazing cooking.

This year I'm involved in a gratitude adventure of a different kind. I spent my birthday driving, on my way to Massachusetts to help out my dad and his wife. I was on the road for about 11 hours, including a few bathroom breaks. I have a few more to go today.
In a way it was kind of nice to have so much time with just me and some music, contemplating things, enjoying scenery. In a way I wish I'd been able to be in touch with people more, although I did get a couple of sweet phone calls from family, which I really appreciate.
When I bought dinner I decided to go with a Chinese place rather than a fast food salad or something (I stopped for the night in a pretty rural place and those were my only options). About a quarter of the way through the meal though my stomach started to get pretty upset and I took the hint and stopped eating. Luckily it didn't turn into anything worse! So yeah, I got vaguely food poisoned by my birthday dinner, lol. The fortune cookie was good, though! It told me I would live for many more years, which I found kind of fitting for the day.

Really, I'm pleased that I was able to spend my birthday in an act of service to my family. The only part that was really more of a downer than just different was the yucky meal thing. I heard from all of the people I care most about, in one way or another. I saw some beautiful sites. I had good music. I laughed.
I will do my cards when i get back home.
A family party is scheduled for the 23rd.

Huge appreciation to every one who has been a part of my journey this past year.

PS, The dork in me is very pleased that my age is consecutive prime numbers. This will only happen three times in my life! (23, 35, and 57)

1 comment:

Lynn said...

What a nice idea to do for a birthday, write gratitude cards. I might borrow that idea. I have a birthday coming up. But I am also planning a devotional for the Sunday right before my birthday and knowing me, I'll procrastinate and won't have time to write cards because I'll be so busy working on my special devotional program till the wee hours fo the morning that Sunday and will be working on my birthday and will be exhausted by the end of that day...