Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Reviewing the Situation

(Anyone else got an "Oliver!" song stuck in their head now?)

*Hums a little...*
Anyway...
So I'm considering doing a year-long distance learning course. It's with the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, which is all about health and healing through foods. If you know me at all, or have read this blog at all, you know that is something I've been very interested in the past few years.

Here are some of my reasons for considering this:
1. It's exciting material.
2. I'm pretty sure I am not the kind of person who can do just one thing (I suppose its the ADD in me!).
3. Part of the course is learning how to get clients for yourself... which I can apply to both nutritional counseling (which I would be certified to do at the end of the year) and the autism thing. Yeah, I could probably get a course on this somewhere else, but then that skips point #1 entirely.
4. They offer a lot of post-graduate support in regard to the business end of things (definitely a major weak point for me).
5. Although traditionally school and I don't get along, I think I could do one year of distance learning but definitely am not into pursuing a traditional nutrition degree.

So the net result would be:
I'd be actively doing something advance-ful in my life (you may have noted I've been a bit stuck);
I'd have specialities in two very current fields (autism and nutrition, and there's definitely a lot of cross-over there!);
I'd be educated on how to promote myself, get clients, and keep clients; and
I get to learn a lot of food/health things that are going to make a big positive difference in my personal life.

I have a "one-on-one career advising session" phone call set up with them next week, where basically I get to talk to one of their people and ask whatever questions I may have. I've already been able to check out some of their course materials and it looks cool.

What do you think overall? Also, what things do you recommend I ask about in my phone call?

2 comments:

JustMe said...

Ask if you can speak with someone who completed the course. Or a couple someones. sounds awesome!

Chrysalis said...

I think it sounds great! No idea what you should ask about, though, but I think this sounds like a great thing for you to do.