Friday, May 21, 2010

Motivation

Sometimes in my quest for health (both physical and mental) I lose track of why I'm doing it. I have reasons. I have them written down. I have art pieces I've made based on them. And yet, when things get really tough, I still think "ok...so...why am I doing this, again? Surely it's not really worth it.... I mean, I survived 30-odd years how I was, surely I can do another 30ish." And I lose my energy for it. My enthusiasm. My excitement. Especially as this project, the improving me project, feels like such a very solo endeavor.
So, who has ideas for how to keep up my 3 Es (energy, excitement, enthusiasm) in this particular quest?
(While you think over how to phrase your brilliant answer, here are some amusing thoughts on motivation)

4 comments:

Jeannene Christie said...

Love this Sonya! Not loving that you are finding it hard to stay motivated...I'm loving that you too find it hard to stay motivated! Meaning, ahh....there is someone else like me : ) Why do I love that? We can help each other. So far, you've already helped me...I appreciate your honesty and those pics made me giggle a little :) My goal is the same...health! LETS DO IT! See, I'm already more motivated. There really is something to not being alone when things get hard. Do you ever try parenting yourself? That helps me out when it gets tough, like lately. You said you have gotten by for 30 years, maybe simply the curiosity of who you will create yourself into doing these health promoting things could be enough to keep you going? Sometimes I go as far as treating myself as if I am pregnant soon to be birthing a new me. Hey, and why do you need the 3E's to do things that are healthy? Love you sweetie.

Chrysalis said...

Hmm. I wish I had a good answer for you, but the best I can think of is to look at the artwork, look at the reasons you've got written down, and to just keep doing the opposite of what you 'want' to do when you want to give up.

I wonder if it would help to think about the way you've "survived" 30 years... I mean, thinking about the way that's phrased. Do you really want to live your life just surviving it? I know I sure don't!

River said...

This was told to me in person, but I want to write it here to have all the ideas in one place.
1. Find your Truth (ie, when I eat sugar, it's not good for me) and stick to it!
2. Surround yourself with supportive, motivational people who have the same ideals that are feature in your goal
3. ...I don't remember lol!

@Jeannene: Hmm, I kinda like that w3hole pregnancy analogy. I did take very good care of myself when I was pregnant. Hmm.
I don't NEED 3Es to be healthy, but when it gets tough to be healthy, I think they sure would help me over the hump.

River said...

Oh yeah! Just got a text reminding me what the third thing was!
3. stick with it for 19-21 days. that's how long it takes to make a habit, they say, and it helps to have an end in sight for a big commitment.