Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Baha'i People versus The Baha'i Faith

So, I've done a pretty good job in my life in divorcing the people who are Baha'is from the principals and holiness of the Baha'i Faith. To me that's pretty important. The religion itself can be perfect and amazing even if I don't always get along with every one who is a Baha'i. And it doesn't sully the glory and truth of the Faith if I encounter Baha'is who I feel aren't living up to it very well. Or heck, even when I don't live up to it very well. The Faith is separate from its very human and fallible practitioners for me.
But I wonder if I've separate it too much? It's not very important to me to attend a lot of the community events. Tonight is a Holy Day celebration that I'm opting not to go to. Not because I have other plans or anything... I just don't really feel like going. I'd rather do some kind of solo commemoration.
I do know that in the Writings it talks a lot about community and how its important to have one and participate in one. I just... meh. Part of that is, I haven't really bonded to many Baha'is here since I got back. Which I know is at least 50% my fault, and maybe more. I'm not reaching out and trying. But... I don't really feel like others are either... But I've always had a kind of weird sense of socialness so maybe they are and I just don't get it. I dunno.
For now, I've decided to make getting to Feast a priority and not worry about other activities if they don't draw me. We'll see where it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course the people aren't perfect. They are physical and physical things aren't perfect. 'Abdu'l-Baha said perfection is not a quality of this world. And you and I are part of this less than perfect world.
But - Baha'is as a group, are trying harder than any other group of people to be the best people we can be. And the Baha'i community is where we can most safely try out the virtues we are practicing. I practice on you, you practice on me. We both know the other is trying and that makes it much easier.
For forty years I've been working on this, and it still works.
~ dlherrmann

~R~ said...

I would love to talk with you some time about Baha'ism. I find it very interesting, and as an agnostic, I like to learn all I can about different religions. I could google, but it'd be more interesting to have a conversation, I retain better that way. ;)

River said...

I dunno about "trying HARDER than any other group people to be the best people we can be" but I definitely agree that, in general, Baha'i's do try hard.