Friday, December 14, 2007

Winter in Hawaii


Winter is here. It was kinda amusing the first few little snows, but this snow is neither little nor amusing. Everything is basically functional and all (no snow days!) but just slower than usual. The snow is up to about my midcalf. Driving in it is not as scary as I thought it would be, if you just go really slow. I have snow tires and things like that too. There's plows all around, at all hours. It's an irritating sound when they go by because of the metal-on-pavement scrape and the loud engines, but its kind of a comforting sound too, knowing that things are being taken care of and I could probably get out if I needed to. The scenery is monochromatic, and not in a calming way; in a boring, craving color kind of way. So, while first kinda fun, winter is no longer amusing. And I still have about 4 months of it left. Why isn't the Option Institute in Hawaii?

2 comments:

ryran said...

Wow. I also wish it was in Hawaii. Judging by how hard the winter here in Charlotte is for me already, the weather up there is actually a factor now in my decision about volunteering. (I have no idea why the cold is bothering me so much this year. Something's changed.)

Justin said...

"The scenery is monochromatic, and not in a calming way..."

Sounds like it's time for a bunch of food coloring and some water guns! No seriously, try it!