Thursday, September 20, 2007

It's Not a Texas Tattoo, Ry


So I got a new tattoo while I was in Austin. Its actually centered on my forearm, its just then when you hold your arm up the muscles and skin twist around. While it does happen to be a single star design, it is not a Lone Star/ Texas thing. That's a coincidence I didn't notice 'til the next day. Here's what it is though. The friend I went to visit has a tat of Orion (like, the constellation) across his back. Almost every star in it is different: different colors, numbers of points, interior designs, exterior designs, sizes... just all different kinds of stars. My newest tattoo is one of those stars. Orion's left foot, actually, but not because that's significant, its just the star I like the best. Orion has always meant protection to me (turns out it does to this friend too) so my star is symbolic of being always protected. It also has a nebula around it, which is where stars are born. This Orion-inked friend has been a huge resource for me during my move to Massachusetts and just in life in general the past several months, and I've grown in ways I thought were impossible for me; so its also a reminder that I can do and be anything, and that support and friends are a hugely important aspect of change. And that change is good and fun and even easy!
Yes, I also got a haircut. It was time. I tend to cut my hair during times of change and transition and growth, or to commemorate some event. The past 2 months have had lots of all of those things, so I decided it was time. I like it. Its shaved underneath to about the temple, and makes a rather jaunty little ponytail.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

To embrace change is to embrace life. You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Tattoo's nice too ;-)

And you have stunning eyes.

Paryssa said...

Ashley sez yo' new tattoo is AWESOME!!

ryran said...

Oh. Wowie. That's very cool.
(And I'm glad it's not a lonestar-inspired thing.)

Up to the temples? Heh. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.